"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Goethe

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tour Guide


Yesterday Jeff and I were tour guides for the Kansas City Temple Open House.  What an exhilarating experience.  Of course, that meant I got to take people inside to see the mural, and I just love being in that room.  This temple also has several other pieces of original work that I would have loved to linger at, but we were on a 90 seconds per stop time schedule so that we could keep people coming through (Thousands are scheduled to come--they had to add an additional week of tours!)  Everyone seemed to come with genuine, friendly curiosity, and they were fun to talk to.  One of my favorite comments was by a man who asked Jeff, "You mean you are all volunteers?!?"  It seemed so normal to me for everyone to show up for their assignment, but then I realized how amazing it must be to see hundreds of people in their Sunday best there to help people park, find their place in line, pick up trash, open the door, keep the cookies coming, guide tours, provide security and so much more.  And there are 3 or 4 shifts a day of that.  I guess we are amazing.  I also loved seeing the member families that came dressed in their Sunday best to come together to the Temple.  One little girl who was about 4 years old ran up to me and whispered in my ear, "I'm going to get married in the temple someday."  She made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment