"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Goethe

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Independent Films

Last week I saw two independent films.

Two Brothers is part of the 5000 Days Project .  It chronicles two brothers for ten years from about the ages 9 and 11 to 19 and 21.  It is a low budget production that has everything a film needs to be poignant, uplifting, and even haunting.  As children, the boys honestly assess themselves, telling the camera what they feel, what they hope for, what they are afraid of and formulate a vision of the world.  They cover disappointment, tenacity, depression, isolation, triumph, love, understanding and perspective.  We watch them "become" over the years, and as we do, we become more aware of what made us become who we are.  I've seen some clips of other movies in the project--and I'm interested.

I also participated in Kirk Cameron's live event, Monumental, The Movie.  I went because I want to support religious discourse in the public arena.  I think that is healthy.  The movie was predictable in both subject matter and technique, with a few interesting tidbits--did you know that the US Congress sponsored one of the first printings of the Bible in America to be distributed for use in public education?  There was nothing I disagreed with in the movie and Kirk Cameron is certainly not disagreeable in his presentation.  He is friendly, curious, and welcoming in his approach--just the kind of guy we need as part of the discourse. 

If you have any recommendations of little known independent films you think I would like, pass them on.  I love recommendations.

By the way, painting has been at a halt this past week because Jeff's Aunt Faye came for a visit and we have be running around.

No comments:

Post a Comment