"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Goethe

Monday, March 19, 2012

Steamboat Arabia

Last week when Meredith was home for spring break, we finally went down to the Steamboat Arabia Museum in Kansas City.  We used to see "commercials" for this steamboat and its sunken treasure on AFN when we were in Heidelberg in 2001-2003.  Every time I saw the commercial, I would think, "I sure would like to see that."  I was not disappointed--what a treasure of bits and pieces of 1850s life frozen in time.


  While I was there, I decided it would be a great idea to put some of these things in still life paintings.  So, you may soon see these on canvas.

By the way, I've decided that I do not want to live through The Hunger Games on the big screen.  It just goes too far and any legitimate point about being human is lost in the horrific details of the games.  It has a slightly similar theme to Shirley Jackson's short story, The Lottery, but Jackson's irony and brevity make her story more poignant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment