"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Goethe

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

I just got back from a weekend trip to Houston.  Jeff and I went to visit his mother who is serving a welfare mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon).  Ahhh, the warm breezes.  I love those.  We went to the art museum and it was well worth it.  I wanted to photograph the Singer-Sargent they have because I love to look at a Singer-Sargent painting.  He paints with complete confidence.  Whether he is putting down a slash of paint or defining a cheekbone, the application is perfect.  It creates a bold combination of the realistic and the abstract.  It, however, was in a "no photos" section of the museum (which seemed to be most of the museum) so I can't share.  I could take pictures in the European art collection, and I decided to take pictures of a game I often play in an art museum--find the modern/abstract painting inside a pre-modern painting.  I'll give you six examples and you see if you can find which realistic painting it came from.  Here are the found paintings:






 And here are the originals:




1 comment: