"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words." Goethe

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Don Hollinger is Mr. Knightly

Have you seen the 1960s TV sitcom, That Girl?  It is one of my favorites, and I figured out why while reading Emma.  Mind you, it has no truly profound insights, but it has a similar human element.  It revolves around personality and situations.  Ann (That Girl) is enthusiastic and naive, Don (her boyfriend--who lives in different apartment and a different building) is devoted and reasonable, her father is bombastic, her mother is emotional, her next door neighbor is flighty and they all come together in a very entertaining and wholesome way.  (It does not rely on sexual references or insults to amuse.)

Donald Hollinger holds things together much as Mr. Knightly does in Emma.  He sees Ann's foibles, but loves her all the same.  He tries to change her mind, but Ann has a mind of her own.  Sometimes he has to save the day, but sometimes he just needs to understand.

The Christmas after Joseph and Megan were married and Matthew came home from his mission, everyone came home for the holidays.  Meredith got the third season of That Girl as one of her presents.  One day I was upstairs and heard the That Girl theme music start, and then I heard running feet.  I heard a boy's voice say, "Hey, Meredith, don't be starting That Girl without me."  I went downstairs to see all four of them settled in to watch Ann Marie.  I looked at Joseph.  He looked at me and said, "Hey, I just watch it for Donald Hollinger.  He is always well dressed, and he is always right."  Mr. Knightly.

Other vintage sitcoms I like include:  Leave it to Beaver, The Dick van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, The Flying Nun and Hogan's Heroes.


I am currently working on another challenge painting that is making me a little nervous because it has a person in it.  I'll post it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment